My family has a thing for State Fairs. Every summer growing up, we would pack into the car and drive to the New York State Fair for the day. I think we started going when I was six and didn't miss a year until my oldest sister went off to college. When we moved to the Quad Cities, we checked out the Iowa State Fair a few times. Now that my parents live in Chicago they have visited both the Illinois State Fair and the Wisconsin State Fair. Recently, my sister and I checked out the Virgina State Fair. I don't mean to brag, but I've begun to consider myself a state fair enthusiast. The best by far is the Iowa State Fair.
But this post isn't about my quest for the best state fair. This is about a time I was scared. I think it was our first time at the NY State Fair. We were standing outside one of the craft buildings watching a horse and buggy go by. I must have been mesmerized by the horse, all attention focused on this giant creature, because the next thing I knew, I was standing there all alone. No family in site. I looked around desperately trying to locate my mom.
Don't judge me for what I did next. I should have known better. I walked up to a nice man who offered to help me find my mom. (The horror! Talking to a stranger). My mom came to my rescue within minutes. I was probably lost for a total of 2 or 3 minutes. It seemed like a long time to me. My mom says she realized I was missing right away and came to find me. But it was traumatic to my 6 year old self.
Pictured below is a t-shirt from the NY state fair.
After reading Lisa's Memory Lane Friday post, I was reminded of another time I was scared. I would have changed my entire post, but since Grady so graciously modeled my t-shirt for me I decided to keep the original and just add to it.
1990 must have been a traumatic year for me. I saw the movie Dick Tracy in the theater that year.
I don't remember the plot line at all, but I do remember there were lots of guns. machine guns. I had nightmares for weeks, maybe even months. I was constantly being shot at during the night. I was terrified. I always thought Dick Tracy was a R rated movie. Turns out, it was a stupid kids movie with a PG rating. I'm just a weeny. I was never allowed to watch any remotely scary movie ever again.


This is great. Now I know who to contact with all my state fair questions. I love having a state fair expert in the family! Hey, we're thinking about taking Pierce to the Salem fair this year to check out all the agricultural stuff (I'm sure that none of the chickens can compare to our dear Elvis though). If you all are around you should come! I'm sure it won't compare to Iowa, but it'll be fun :-)
ReplyDeleteI don't think I've ever seen Dick Tracy. But I do remember watching Dracula (the old back and white) on tv as a kid (I begged my mom to let me stay up to watch it) and being so terrified by nightmares for months afterwards. I hid under the covers hot and sweaty and terrified, thinking Dracula wouldn't be able to find me under there). Did you try to hide from Dick Tracy in the middle of the night?
i don't remember hiding. I don't even think it was Dick Tracy who was after me. It was always just random people. I remember one dream where I was swimming in a pool then I got out and held up my "bullet proof" kickboard in front of my chest and told someone to shoot. But then they would aim for my head...then i woke up...wow, what an aweful dream. no wonder my mom wouldn't let me see anything violent of scary!...this is probably also a big reason why I am anti-guns:-)
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I love state fairs, too! My family lives in Iowa now, so we've been to the great Iowa State Fair a number of times.
ReplyDeleteYour story and mine are similar in the sense that we were scared (that pit of the stomach feeling is hard to forget) after getting lost.
Love that picture, and great post! It is so true, these days we're told to stay away from strangers, thank goodness you found a nice one back in the day! ;)
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I am sure that was very scary for you. I am glad that you did find a nice stranger to help you out!
ReplyDeleteI never saw Dick Tracy but I did see a few that scared the tar out of me. It is amazing how kids today don't seem to be bothered by them so much. :(