Thursday, June 24, 2010

Game. Set........

Do you follow tennis? Even if you don't, you have probably heard the buzz about this epic tennis match still going on. 



In the first round of men's singles at Wimbledon, Nicholas Mahut (France) is matched up with John Isner (USA).  The match began on Tuesday but play was suspended during the fourth set due to darkness.  Play resumed on Wednesday.  At Wimbledon, there is no tie breaker in the fifth set of the match.  The players must continue to play until someone wins by two games.  I've seen long matches before, but this is unprecedented.  The game was suspended for a second day last night with a score of 59/59 in the final set.  These men have been playing tennis for 10 hours total.  Not only is this the longest tennis match in history, the fifth set is now longer than any other complete match.  There is only one word to describe this event: Epic.

Play resumes today at 3:30 London time.  That is 10:30am EST.  This is a must watch.

I was on the tennis team in high school.  My senior year I was good enough to make the varsity team which went to a few tournaments.  I remember one time when I was the last match on the courts.  Everyone else had already finished, received their medals, and gone home.  I was still out there, fighting to win my match, with my coach and tennis buddy cheering me on.  While tennis is a very physical game, it is also emotional.  Being out there on the court for so long can start to ware on you.  In the end, I won my match and received the gold medal for my category.

How will this tennis match of epic proportions play out? Only time will tell.  Tune in to watch the match of a lifetime.  I know Grady and I will be.  We're cheering for the American! Go Isner!


1 comment:

  1. Love that picture! Grady looks so cute in sleeveless outfits. He's like a muscle dude :-)
    lovecatcat

    ReplyDelete