Monday, June 7, 2010

exercising and exersaucing

Before Grady was born, we bought a treadmill.

I hadn't been running at all during my pregnancy so I thought it was best to postpone trying it out.  About two weeks post-birth, I hopped on the treadmill and walked for a mile or so.  Getting back into shape was slow moving.  I had signed up for a 10K at the end of March to motivate my workout program.  After a month I was getting my legs back.  Once I got up to running 4 miles for my long run, my sister informed me that she wasn't going to run the 10K with me.  Not wanting to run alone, I backed off my training.  It tapered back slowly until finally, I just stopped.

Running is a great form of exercise for a lot of people.  I just don't think it's for me.  I try to brainwash myself into thinking that I enjoy it. 
I don't.
I'm a wimp.
I don't have the will power to run through the pain.
 As soon as my lungs start to burn. I stop. 
 As soon as my legs start to ache.  I stop.
As soon as my sides start to cramp up. I stop. 
I know, I'm pitiful.

I have been off exercise for a month (during which time my post-pregnancy weight loss plateaued at 15 lbs over goal). 

Last week, while doing laundry, I looked at the treadmill and said to myself  "I refuse to let this piece of equipment turn into a clothes rack."  I brainstormed on how to use my treadmill without running.  I could run, but it wouldn't last.
Then I discovered the incline.
I can just walk.
Up hill.
I get my heart rate up.  I burn tons of calories.
 Bonus: I enjoy it! 
It's just like hiking. 

Okay so you get to enjoy nature while hiking.  See beautiful views.  But at least I don't have annoying bugs swarming around my head!

I usually hop on the treadmill during Grady's morning nap.  However, Grady can join in on the fun by exersaucing while I am exercising...

4 comments:

  1. Awwww, Grady!

    I'm stuck at 12 lbs. above my ideal racing weight, 7 lbs. above desired general non-racing weight. I feel your pain. And I'm much further out on the postpartum spectrum (sigh).

    A few tips for treadmilling it up. If you have free weights, you could try doing circuit workouts. Lift a set of weights, hop on treadmill and run (or walk, fast, uphill) for 2 minutes, lift set of weights or do lunges or crunches, repeat - targeted exercise time 20 minutes or so. Because it's continuously changing you don't have time to get so tired you want to quit w/ the running piece of it. Plus, you get a nice, quick, total body workout.

    Other tricks include downloading running podcasts (my new fav thing - do you have an ipod?). You can download music ones that have a beat based on how fast you are going. There are even some for walking! If you like dance type music, Defected in the House is totally upbeat Euro-type dance music podcasts, an hour long, and free to download.

    You could also try only allowing yourself to watch a tv show/movie while you are on the treadmill or working out.

    This is why you need to live closer...then we could motivate each other and workout together during naptime. Only Grady needs to learn to take longer naps first ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice. I'll have to try those pod casts. I try to put my own running music together and always end up with songs that I think work while i'm sitting on the couch not running, but when i start running they aren't fast enough.

    Grady is a much better napper now! His morning naps are a least an hour long most of the time. last week he took a 2.5 hour nap..probably would have slept longer but i woke him up because i didnt want it to mess up his afternoon nap. The tricky part would be getting all the babies to nap at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man! That is the cutest ever picture of Grady.
    I also hate exercise. HATE! Guess that's why I am fat
    lovecatcat

    ReplyDelete
  4. We could train for a race together! (Well... not practice together since I live too far but race together!) I won't bail last minute like Julia :)

    ReplyDelete