Grady didn't want to come out of his nice cozy womb. A week past my due date, I had an ultrasound done to estimate the size of my baby. The measurements put him at 9lbs 3oz. The doctor asked me when I would like to be induce. My response was "as soon as possible; before this baby gets any bigger!" I was induced the next day.
I started having consistent but mild contractions every 2 to 3 minutes. I walked circles around the maternity unit to help move things along. With no progression toward active labor, they sent me home at 5pm. The doctor told me he wouldn't be surprised if he got a call from me (in active labor) during the night. He was right. I decided to sleep on the couch that night because I thought it would be more comfortable on my back. I suddenly had a very strong contraction and at 10:45pm my water broke. I went upstairs to wake Taylor and tell him my water broke. His response was "are you serious?" No just kidding, go back to sleep! My doctor said there was no rush to come to the hospital; I could wait until my contractions were 3 minutes apart. HA! I wanted medical interventions ASAP. Actually my contractions were already less than 3 minutes apart and extremely painful. I remember thinking before experiencing labor that I would be able to hand the pain. It can't be THAT bad. I was wrong. The clothes pin on the earlobe analogy they use in child birth class is so far from reality.
We headed to the hospital where I quickly requested an epidural. While I was waiting for the anaesthesiologist to come, they gave me some narcotic to take the edge off. I immediately felt like I had drank a 6 pack and suddenly the contractions didn't feel so bad. I can see why that stuff is so addictive. With the epidural on board I was able to sleep. In the morning, it was time to push. The epidural worked so well, they had to tell me when I was having a contraction. I couldn't feel anything. After two hours of active pushing and no progress, the doctor told me they would have to use the vacuum suction to help pull my baby out. Finally at 9:34am my little bundle of joy was born, with a big suction cup mark on his head.
He was 9lbs 7oz.
He was perfect.
Clothespin on the earlobe? LOL!! Now that's a new one. I don't think there is really any analogy that can adequately describe the feelings experienced in childbirth. It's awesome that your dr didn't make you have a c-section just because Grady was over 9 lbs. I have 2 friends that didn't fare so well w/ that!
ReplyDeleteThey had us do an excersize where we would put a clothespin on our earlobe for a minute and we would work through the pain using the techniques they teach you. The woman did tell us that real labor pain was much worse.
ReplyDeleteMaybe driving a red-hot stake through your ear would be a better way to prepare for labor pain. :-) I still can't believe you had such a big baby for your first one. No wonder they had to suck him out.
ReplyDeletelovecatcat