Friday, July 30, 2010

Memory Lane Friday: Chore Time

I've taken a few weeks off of Memory Lane Friday.  Mostly because I couldn't think of anything to write for the topic of the week.  This weeks topic is 'chore time.' 


I never had chores growing up.  My mom believed we should enjoy being kids and not have to worry about adult responsibilities until it was necessary.  However, most of our friends had chores and got allowances.  We wanted the allowances, so we decided to start doing chores.  By 'we' I mean my sisters, I'm sure I wasn't a part of the decision.  I was pretty young when this happened.  My sisters came up with a chart for us to follow.  We were each designated different chores for different days of the week.  They were simple tasks like walking the dog, taking out the trash, and doing the dishes. 

I'm not sure how long this lasted.  It couldn't have been more than a month.  But eventually the chores were not being done, yet we were still getting our allowances.  My mother caught on quickly and our weekly income stopped. 

I decided to revisit the 'chore' concept when I was in high school.  My parents agreed to pay me to mow the lawn.  After several yanks on the cord to get the motor started on our 20 year old Honda lawnmower, I was in business.  I made it about five feet before I had to stop to clear my path.  Our yard was filled with walnut trees that liked to drop little presents all.over.the.place.  I kept at it, clearing my path and cutting the grass, then I came to a substantial hill.  That part was treacherous.  It's a miracle I didn't mow over my foot.  I completed this task once and decided it wasn't worth the $25 in my pocket. 

Conclusion: chores are never fun :-D

4 comments:

  1. That picture is priceless! I'm still laughing over your expression :-)
    love
    catcat

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, you look SO thrilled to be doing dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really is a great picture. I hope Grady has better lawn mowing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait a minute! I mowed acres of lawn when I was growing up and do not remember being compensated for it!

    ReplyDelete