Tuesday, July 20, 2010

going natural

In an effort to decrease my carbon foot print (and save some money at the same time), I've decided to try cloth diapers.  I looked at a diaper service here in Charlottesville that claims to be the same price as buying disposable diapers.  But I did the math, and it's definitely not cheaper.  I figure I can do my own laundry.  I explored various different brands online and decided on gdiapers.  Why did I pick this particular brand?  For one, they were slightly cheaper and got good reviews.  But the main reason, I am a big fan of the 'g' on the rear.  Because Grady definitely needs monogrammed underpants! 

I only purchased two diapers plus one pack of six inserts.  I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something until I know it's going to work out.  I can always buy more later.  This is more of a trial run.  Also, my mother-in-law has offered to make me a bunch of cloth diapers.  I'm super excited about this. 

I bought my diapers from diapers.com.  I was excited when I saw they had a few promotional codes.  One was for purchases on diapers and formula: FIVEBABY.  But when I inserted this code, it told me I wasn't actually buying diapers.  So I tried the other code which was for everything else (not diapers or formula).  Once again I received a message saying I had to be purchasing something other than diapers or formula.  Hmmm.  I'm confused.  Since I'm buying cloth diapers they don't count as actual diapers, yet they also don't count as being something other than diapers.  They are in a weird limbo category which prevents me from getting a discount!  Luckily I called the helpline and they worked something out for me. 

My next step is to convince Taylor to go along with my cloth diapering :-)  Somehow I think he'll make me do all the diaper washing.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww! I love that cute G-bottom :-) I haven't been able to run mine up yet....dealing with the AC repair all day (still not fixed!), but they are cut out and shouldn't take more than an hour each to sew. I have the 2 little ones for Cort and I have cut the pattern bigger to try to fit Reid and Grady. I am doing some all-in-ones and some just fitted diapers. I want to make fleece VT covers and knit some cute little felted covers too. I am so excited about this! I am so proud of you for being willing to try. Think, each time you use one, that is one less diaper in the landfill. I always loved cloth diapers on my babies. It really isn't that much work and I love to do the laundry.
    Love
    catcat

    ReplyDelete