Friday, May 28, 2010

Memory Lane Friday: This one time, at camp


For years I watched my older sisters go off to camp without me.  As the baby sister, I had to wait to do everything.  Finally, the summer after 4th grade, I was old enough to go to camp.  Mansfield Gifted Camp.  I would plan what I was packing for weeks.  Then finally, it was time to make the hour and a half drive to Mansfield College in Pennsylvania.  We'd arrive on Sunday afternoon, unload the car, and head into the dorm to find my room assignment.  Each door was labeled with two names. 
I roomed with my best friend, Juliann, every year.  We stayed in basic dorm rooms.  Two beds, two dressers, and two desks.  It wasn't the nicest quarters, but I didn't care.  I got to spend a whole week with my best friend and no parents! 
Here is my desk from one year.  Decorated with cards sent to me from relatives (who probably wrote the cards before I even left for camp, just so I would get them while I was there) 
Each summer you signed up for three classes.  I took different things from year to year.  Quilting, Surfing the Internet (keep in mind this was in the mid 90s when Internet was new and fascinating), Rocketeering, scuba diving, gymnastics, and orienteering to name a few.  I can't recall all of them.  There were a few I took more than once. Scuba diving was definitely my favorite.  We went deep sea diving in the swimming pool. :-) 
This is a rocket I made one year.  I even got to launch it!

At the end of the week we performed a musical for our families.  We practiced all week.  Everyone had at least one line; I was always afraid I would forget mine.  I performed in The Sound of Music, Damn Darn Yankees, Lil' Abner, and Starlight Express.  I can't remember which one we did my last year there.
This is lil' Abner. I'm the second one from the left (with my belly showing)

I was a member of the 'Electra' engine in Starlight Express.  I'm guessing Electra is from China and that's why we are all wearing those silly rice patty hats (made from construction paper)


The traditional 'end of the week' photo. 
This is me and Juliann with her brother Greg.
I attended Gifted camp from the summer after 4th grade to the summer after 8th grade.  I remember watching my sister's cry on their last day of camp in 8th grade and thinking I would never be that upset when it was me.  I was truly shocked when I felt the tears coming.  I looked forward to that one week every year.  It was sad to know that I wouldn't be coming back.

I know I was probably supposed to write about a specific moment at camp.  But I can't think of just one moment that meant a lot to me or one that was exceptionally funny.  Camp was an experience I will never forget.  Each year was different.  Each year was special.  I miss those care free days of going to summer camp, when your biggest worry was what to pack. 

1 comment:

  1. You did some really cool things at your camp. Scuba diving does sound awesome. Camp WAS always so sad at the end. Isn't it funny how just one week of the year - year after year - can form such intense bonds?

    ReplyDelete