Friday, March 25, 2011

Toss the Cookies

It's Memory Lane Friday and this weeks theme is 1st grade.  When I was little, I frequently got sick in the mornings.  I don't know what caused it.  Nerves, maybe?  My mom would keep me home from school, but by 10am I was usually bouncing off the walls like a normal healthy six year old.  My mother wised up and started sending me to school anyway.  (This might have been around the time she adapted the "no fever, no sick day" rule).   

One morning, I woke up sick to my stomach.  My mom told me I was fine and sent me off to school.  I don't recall how I felt most of the day, but after lunch, my stomach started to hurt. The bathroom was located directly behind my seat, but I didn't make it there in time.  I didn't even make it out of my chair.  I tossed my cookies, right there on the desk I shared with a classmate.  I went to the nurses office to wait for my mom to pick me up.  I'm sure she felt awful about sending me to school. 

This event didn't change the "no fever, no sick day" rule.  Luckily, I never got sick at school again.  In fact, I frequently got awarded perfect attendance as a child.

1 comment:

  1. I still remember when my friend Mary Jo puked up her chocolate milk in the cafeteria. That was 2nd grade. It happens! Also, this might be reason #1 for why I'm not an elementary school teacher - but that is one very long list ;-)

    ReplyDelete