Thursday, March 3, 2011

Chocolate Overnight Oats


I eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every day.  I always made it the same way.  1/3 cup oats, 2/3 cup water, 1 apple finely chopped.  It tasted good, but my breakfasts were nothing exciting.  Over the past few years I've gotten a little more adventurous with my morning bowl of oatmeal.  I'll add in some apple butter or pumpkin butter.  Sometimes I substitute banana for the apple.  If I'm really feeling grumpy in the morning I'll add a spoonful of peanut butter and a few chocolate chips!  Then I discovered overnight oats.  I don't remember where I first saw them.  Once again, I started out simple.  I made my oats with just the basic ingredients.  Then I added chocolate.  Heaven in a bowl? maybe...if you like overnight oats that is.



The Mix:

1/2 cup oats
1/3 cup vanilla soy milk
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used stoney field)
1 Tbs ground flax seed
splash of vanilla extract
1 packet hot cocoa mix 
(this is what I had on hand, you could also use cocoa powder or chocolate syrup if you want...as long as its chocolate!)

mix everything together in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate over night.

In the morning I added a sliced banana.  My oats come out pretty thick.  If you like a soupier oatmeal just increase the liquid.

Grady tasted a few bites of my chocolate oats.  He seemed to like them so I made him his own bowl of blueberry overnight oats for the next morning.


He didn't like his bowl.  I guess he wanted chocolate!  He had a blueberry muffin instead.


The child doesn't have any concept his mouth size.  He figures a whole mini muffin should fit in just fine...




1 comment: