Saturday, March 5, 2011

Cookies of EPIC proportions

I was planning to write my post for Memory Lane Friday yesterday.  The topic was "Favorite Subject."  I was all ready to talk about my love of math; how numbers have always made more sense to me than words.  But I got caught up in my baking. 

We are switching to a computerized charting system called EPIC at work.  While this is a necessary step toward the future of healthcare, many of my co-workers are stressing out about it.  I essentially grew up with computers, so I'm not too worried.  I'm sure I'll encounter a few hiccups at first, but nothing I can't 'trial and error' my way out of; however, my older colleagues aren't quite so computer savvy.  To ease everyone's stresses and help them feel appreciated, I (along with a few others) am bringing treats to work for everyone.   The cookie recipes I made are both from my favorite cookbook:

The 150 Best American Recipes
(image from google images search)

These recipes are super easy and can be made with ingredients you typically have on hand.

Peanut butter Cookies

1 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter (I used chunky)
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and set a rack in the middle level.  Grease two baking sheets or line them with parchment paper

In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the peanut butter and sugar until well combined.  In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg, then beat it into the peanut butter mixture along with the baking soda until well combined.


Roll level teaspoons of dough into balls and arrange them about 1 inch apart on the baking sheets.  With the tines of a fork, flatten the balls to about 1.5 inches in diameter, making a crosshatch pattern.

Bake the cookies in batches until puffed and pale golden, about 10 minutes.


Let cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer with a metal spatula to wire racks to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container up to 5 days.

Grady helped by watching the cookies bake in the oven.  I tried taking a photo of him peering in through the oven window, but as soon as he saw the camera he looked straight at me and flashed a smile.  What a ham.
The following recipe has been Grady tested...and approved.
Brown Butter Dream Cookies

16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and set a rack in the lower-middle level.  Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or use a Silpat baking mat.

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, then let it brown, stirring constantly.  Watch it like a hawk; you want the butter to turn brown, not black.  Let cool and transfer to a large bowl.  Scrape out the pan, if necessary, to get all the delectable little browned bits.  Add the sugar and vanilla in 3 additions, stiffing after each addition.  Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt, if using, together in a small bowl and add the butter mixture in 3 additions, blending well after  each addition.  Using about 1.5 teaspoons of dough roll into balls.  Place on a baking sheet 2 inches apart.

Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the cookies are golden on the bottom and cracked a bit on top.

Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then slide the paper with the cookies on it onto the rack.  Let cool completely. Store in a tin for up to 2 weeks. 


I also made some cake truffles (or cake balls).  Call them what you want, but they are delicious. 


A little candy decorating icing and they look professional.


I made the cake truffles for friday night and the cookies for saturday day/night.  We are way over staffed to help make the transition to EPIC easier.  We have 7 patients and 5 nurses (we typically have only 2 RNs on night shift)!  We were supposed to "go live" with EPIC at midnight.  It's 3 am right now, and we are still sitting around waiting for the system to start up.  At least we have lots of people around to help keep eachother awake (and lots of coffee)!

3 comments:

  1. Nice of you to bring everyone cookies! They look delicious.
    You can always blog about math and link up next week - there's no theme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that picture of the Cookie Watcher :-)
    I want a truffle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed. Now I know what to make for my PEO meeting Tuesday. Can't argue with the Cookie Watcher (and Tester)!! Love, Grandmom

    ReplyDelete