Friday, December 10, 2010

Memory Lane Friday - Favorite Holiday Food

It's been a while since joined in on Memory Lane Friday.  I have many different excuses...out of town, sick as a dog, didn't have anything to write about.... But this week I think I can come up with something.

It's had to pick just one food. Between the sweet potatoes, apple pie, and even the cranberry sauce, there are too many delicious foods at the holidays.  But if I have to choose, I pick my mom's stuffing (which should probably be called 'dressing' because we don't stuff it in the turkey).  The recipe comes from The Good Housekeeping Cookbook (circa...late 1970's)

Ingredients:

1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups diced celery
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
2 1/4 teaspoons salt or to taste (optional)
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
16 cups lightly packed fresh bread cubes
3 eggs

Melt butter or margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Cook celery and onions in butter until tender, about 10 minutes.  Add parsley, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper; mix well.  Remove from heat.  Stir in bread cubes, then eggs; mix well.  Bake in a greased casserole dish at 350* for at least 30 minutes.

Each year we change recipes around.  We try different sweet potato dishes and different vegetables but this stuffing recipe has remained the same my entire life.  It's simple, classic and delicious.

One tip:  Make sure to remove the pan from the heat before adding the eggs.  Last year my sister didn't do this and we ended up with scrambled eggs with bread cubes. :-)

Here I am one Christmas morning showing off my new doll clothes.  I believe these clothes were for Roderick Malcom, my cabbage patch kid, who I carried everywhere.

1 comment:

  1. I love stuffing. :-) I make it sometimes as a side, even when it's not a holiday. I put celery and carrots in mine.

    I love that you had a Cabbage Patch named Roderick. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete