Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Bird Flu

I would like to apologize for taking a blog hiatus.  I have a good excuse tho.  Last Saturday I came home from work with a sore throat.  I didn't think much of it.  I took airborne religiously, drank lots of fluids, and hoped I could kick the oncoming cold.  Let me tell you folks...this is no cold.  The fever started on Monday.  101.3F.  That was according to Grady's ear thermometer, which I don't think is very accurate.  My regular thermometer was out of batteries.  With a fever and a sore throat, I decided to go to Prompt Care for a strep test., which was negative.  I suffered through Tuesday feeling awful and woke up on Wednesday with a fever of 102.7F.  This time it was with an oral thermometer.  I convinced Taylor to stay home from work and take care of Grady.  I made an appointment with my primary care doc (actually I see the nurse practitioner).  She gave me a Rx for an antibiotic in case it was strep (at this point my strep results hadn't come back yet).  She told me if I don't get better by Friday then they would test me for Mono.  Since my strep culture was negative, I'm assuming I wont be better by tomorrow.  So far today, I don't have a fever, but I've been taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen fairly regularly to help with the throat pain.  I feel like I'm swallowing knives.

Taylor has diagnosed me with the Bird Flu, saying a few rare cases have come to the US.  He always come up with creative diseases.  Like the time he contracted the avian swine flu.  I thought that one was pretty creative.

Luckily, Grady and Taylor have remained symptom free so far.  I hope it stays that way.  I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a bad one. Are you sure it isn't equine influenza? Hope you feel better and the boys stay well.

    ReplyDelete