Thursday, June 2, 2011

Ebola virus in the house

We had a party at work yesterday celebrating us being 700 days CA-BSI free.  That pretty much means we prevented blood steam infections by using proper cleaning techniques each time we accessed a central line.  I think the acronym stands for Catheter Acquired - Blood Steam Infects, but I'm not positive.  Somehow, without even attending the party, I won a door prize.  I'm not really sure how that works.  But I found this stuffed creature in my mailbox last night when I showed up for my shift...


At first glance, I thought it was a snake.  Then I read the tag.  It's a giant microbe, the Ebola virus, 1,000,000x the actual size.  Now, I don't want to seem ungrateful.  I'm thankful I actually won something for a change, but doesn't a giant Ebola virus sound a little...well...disgusting? 

Upon further examination, the tag has some interesting facts about the Ebola virus. For example: "You do not want to get Ebola."  I found that one the most helpful.  It also lists the terrible signs and symptoms of the disease and that 50-90% of victims don't survive.  On the bright side, Ebola is very rare "so if you're under the weather, don't worry: you probably have something else."  How uplifting....


I gave Grady the Ebola virus, and of course, he's been carrying it around most of the morning.  I have to say, the little bug is growing on me... :)

4 comments:

  1. I read an article about these 'germ' toys. There are different ones. For Grady's collection, perhaps he could get malaria next. Or Norovirus. Now there's a bug for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, do you think there is a Little Lyme Disease?
    Grady is so adorable with Ebola :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grady got mad because I wouldn't let him take the Ebola virus to bed... it has those eyes you can choke on.

    -Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok probably my favorite post ever and educational too now I know that I don't want to get Ebola - Katie

    ReplyDelete