What does this mean for me and my job? We are given what is called a "transition bonus" every six months we stay. This is to keep everyone from bailing out early. It is definitely a nice benefit. But, in 18 months to 2 years, I wont have a job (at least I'm not guaranteed one). I'll be given priority to any openings at the main hospital, however, I still have to apply and be interviewed. Having just gotten this news a few days ago, I don't know what I will do yet. I'm definitely not in a hurry to make any rash changes. I don't think I will have trouble finding a new job, and the bonuses are a pretty good incentive to stick around. I really like the people I work with, and it will be sad to break up such a great team. Hopefully most of us will stay within the children's hospital at UVA. Although I am disappointed to see KCRC come to an end, I look forward to to the next chapter in my nursing career. I think it will be good for me to expand my experience in a new environment. I just hope I get to stay with pediatrics...adults are icky :)
My main concern (and the concern of everyone else I work with) is for the children. Our rehab kids will be sent to an adult rehab center. I hope they will receive the same quality of care that we give to our children. KCRC is well know throughout the state, region and maybe even country for their brain injury rehab abilities. It's amazing to watch the brain heal after a traumatic accident; watch a person regain skills like walking, talking and eating.
I will cherish the time I have left at KCRC. It has been a wonderful experience to work with such a great team of health care professionals. Knowing us, we will make it a really fun last 18 months.
Well, I'm sure it will end up being one of those change is good things. It'll be refreshing to try something new :-)
ReplyDelete