Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Injured Ankle

Grady hurt his ankle this past Saturday.  He was headed out of the backdoor and missed his footing on the step, causing him to take a little tumble.  I had been working the night before, so I wasn't there when it happened, but Taylor tells me Grady cried for just short while.  He had difficulty standing up and limped when walking.  I woke up early that afternoon because I didn't have to go back into work until 11pm.  I had planned on going back to sleep later in the evening for a few hours.

When Grady woke up from his nap, I checked out his ankle.  It was a little swollen and he was still having trouble walking.  I tried to have him walk down the stairs, but after a few wobbly steps, he asked to be picked up.  Taylor and I decided we should take him to the doctor to make sure there wasn't any serious damage.  As long as Grady wasn't putting pressure on his foot, it didn't seem to bother him.  We called our pediatricians office and got an appointment for 7:10pm.  This is one thing I love about the peds practice we have.  They are open 7 days a week 8am to 9pm so you can get checked out on the weekends if there is a concern and avoid an ER visit.

We went out to dinner while we waited for out appointment time.  We figured this was the best way to keep Grady off his ankle, (strap him into a highchair!)  Once at the doctor he got checked out. They gave us an ice pack to put on his ankle (not sure why they thought a 2 year old would keep ice on his ankle) and sent us for an x-ray.
We headed to the ER/procedure center.  One of our hospitals has an outpatient ER that's open until 10pm every day.  It's great for things like this and there is no one there.  We waited in the empty waiting room, trying to keep Grady entertained.  The vending machines were a big hit.  We bought three bottles of water because he liked putting the money in, pressing the buttons and watching the bottle fall.  Then we switched to gum since it was cheaper.  I had to sit out the x-ray due to pregnancy, but Taylor said Grady did great.  About 15 minutes after the x-ray the doctor told us there were no broken bones, apply ice and give ibuprofen as needed.  We were to come back in if his ankle looked worse in a few days.  Thankfully, he has stopped limping and is doing well.



Grady was such a trooper through the whole process, especially since we had him up way past his bedtime.  We finally made it home and put him to bed at 9pm.

2 comments:

  1. Scary! So glad Grady is okay! You certainly do not need a 2 yr old in a cast at this pt in your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad he's okay. Yeah, ice NEVER goes over well in our house - none of them will tolerate it!

    ReplyDelete