Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Adjusting to Life with a New Puppy

I have always wanted a dog and I love the little puppy I got for Christmas.  But there have been times I've wanted to boot her out the door.  For example, when she bites Grady.  I know she doesn't know any better and it's just a puppy phase, but every time she does it I have to remind myself not to through her across the room.  It doesn't help that my late pregnancy temper is a little short these days.

For the most part, we have fun playing with Piper.  We have had to put a few rules in place.  Grady isn't allowed to have his blanket when Piper is out of her cage.  Otherwise she will latch on and get dragged around the house or she'll chew it to pieces (and we wouldn't want to lose 'night night,' that would be a disaster) 


also these foam puzzles he got for his birthday, which Grady loves, but Piper loves them too, must stay upstairs.  They already have several tooth marks in them.


When she's not being destructive.  When she sleeping in her cage or playing with a dog appropriate toy or sitting in your lap chewing on a bone, she's really quite sweet.  

In the photo below, you may think she is stretching her neck back, but actually, she is sleeping in the position.  


Grady still gets jealous when Piper is sitting in my lap.  He usually comes over and says "sit in my lap," then tries to sit on top of the dog.  I have to remind him not to squish Piper.  

Today, Piper was chewing on a rawhide in my lap and Grady came over, kneeled beside me, pet Piper on the back and said "good girl, Piper."  


While that shows some progress, he still prefers Piper when she's in her cage.  He lays down in front of the cage, puts his finger through the bars, giggles, and talks to her.  Usually when she's outside her cage he just ignores her.  (probably because he knows he is in danger of being bit!)

A few weeks ago, Taylor asked me if I had any New Years Resolutions.  My response: "to survive the next year"

So far, so good.  The puppy can only get easier as she picks up the whole house training thing and learns new commands.  I just hope she figure it out by the end of March when the baby is born.  

1 comment:

  1. She's a sweet little dog, and the puppy stage won't last forever at least!

    Are those the 3T pjs we passed on to Grady?!? Fitting already!?!!!!!

    ReplyDelete