We didn't always go to the same store. Some days it was Lowe's, other days we'd go to Ace hardware or Home Depot. Sometimes we'd hit every hardware store in a 50 mile radius of our house. It's easy to see why my dad would disappear for so long. The name on the front of the store isn't important, it's the smell of the hardware store I remember. I don't know how to describe it. Maybe it's the smell of the cold concrete floor or the piles of lumber stacked to the ceiling. To this day, I find myself pausing at the entrance to Lowe's, just for a second; I draw in a deep, slow breath, allowing the nostalgia to wash over me. For a moment, I'm with my dad again, disappearing for hours on a Saturday afternoon.
I'm linking this post with Two Bear Farm's Memory Lane Friday
I'm linking this post with Two Bear Farm's Memory Lane Friday


I know that smell you speak of! I'm not a big fan of hardware stores, but I love your hardware memories :-)
ReplyDeleteYou forgot the part about how you worked at a hardware store because of Daddy! I think I remember the smell from my years working at Chase Pitkin! Fertilizer, pesticide, saw dust, paint, etc. I am sure it wasn't good for us....
ReplyDelete