Friday, September 3, 2010

Memory Lane Friday - a collection

I'm always late putting up my memory lane Friday posts.  I don't know why.  Anyway, this weeks topic: A Collection! 


I'm not sure exactly how old I was when I started collecting snow globes.  Seven? Maybe eight?  I guess the age doesn't matter.  My first snow globe was a small cheap plastic one. 


It used to be filled to the top with water, but I guess after almost 20 years, the water starts to evaporate.

I received a snow globe for Christmas and my birthday every year.  I think I stopped getting them sometime during high school.  Here is the entire collection



Some are just basic snow globes, some play music, and one (my favorite) talks. 

The halloween one on the left says "happy Halloween," preceded by evil laughs.  I've had a few globes break during moves.  Traveling in a bumpy moving truck isn't always safe for glass balls filled with water.  You can see the wizard "globe" on the right no longer has it's globe around it.  I also had a really neat Aladdin one that broke, which my dad threw away. 

It was pretty fun unearthing these from hibernation.  My parents brought my snow globes last Christmas and they have been sitting in boxes ever since.  Feelings of nostalgia washed over me as I unwrapped each globe.

Some of them have held up better than others.  I don't know if you can tell from the photo's but the water is pretty murky in a few.

While I was recovering my snow globe collection, I came across another collection of mine:  Glass Bottles.

I think this started out as a root beer bottle collection...and snowballed from there...

What's that in the middle there? An IBC root beer bottle?  Those are hard to come by....
and the coke bottles on the ends were definitely worth holding onto.  I rolled my eyes as I unwrapped each "unique" bottle (sold in convenient marts nation wide).  The things we hold onto as kids.  Maybe I should go on that Hoarding: Buried Alive show?

2 comments:

  1. Your snow ball collection is so fun.
    Sadly, we had one that I loved (just pine trees in snow that turned and played White Christmas) and it broke last year. I was bummed. But now Pierce has his cheapo plastic train snow globe instead ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely recycled my Williamsburg bottles after Mommy brought me all my stuff. Primarily because I have limited storage space so hoarding isn't an option unless I want to burry myself in stuff...

    Geoff will be so dissapointed when he finds out his picture has been replaced on your blog!

    ReplyDelete