Friday, April 30, 2010

Memory Lane Friday - A favorite Book

I was never a big reader as a child.  For one reason, I had ADD; needless to say, sitting down with a good book was not a priority of mine.  On top of that I was also dyslexic.  Even if I had the attention span to get through a book, reading was difficult for me.  What kid wants to do something they struggle at?  My favorite book comes from my very early childhood years.  I'm sure my mom read it to me many times before I remember actually reading it myself. 

Before I was born, my mother's sister lived in Italy for a period of time.  She sent my mother this popular Italian children's book translated into English.  Barbapapa's Voyage is a book that I have loved for as long as I can remember. 
This is Barbapapa

He is a pink blob who is sad and lonely.  He decides to travel the world in an effort to find happiness.  He ventures to places like the Midwest, Paris, and India;  He even travels to outer space.  He eventually returns home and finds Barbamama.  They have lots of Barbababies and live happily ever after.  Because they are blobs, they can mold into any shape...
It has been a long time since I've read this book, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details.  But that is the general storyline.  My parents still have this book in their house somewhere.  I have done some research online in the interest of purchasing this book for my nephews.  Apparently it's a collectors item.  I've recently seen it going for anywhere between $30 to $192...USED!!  My copy is worn out and ratty, but I look forward to retrieving it from my parents so I can share it with Grady.  


 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I've never even heard of this book! Not surprised it's a collector's item - all the good ones are. My book from today can run kind of pricy too (sigh). Hope your parents can dig yours out for you :-) Congrats to Grady on the big roll over!!

    ReplyDelete