Monday, April 26, 2010

Good Vibrations

The time has come for Grady to start sleeping in his own room.  He's been sleeping through the night for several weeks now, but I've been putting off moving him.  I like having him right next to me at night.  But Grady is getting too big for his bassinet. 

He barely fits. 
(This photo is not out of focus, Grady is just really excited and wouldn't hold still.)

Last night we made the big move to his crib. 


Grady typically goes to bed between 7:30 and 8:00.  Last night he was getting groggy at the same time as usual, so Taylor took him upstairs to his crib and turn on his mobile.  Grady loves his mobile, so instead of drifting off to sleep his eye popped open and gazed in amazement at the animals turning above his head.  We turned on the baby monitor and came downstairs.  Within minutes we could here Grady making noises.  After about 15 minutes he really started to get upset and I figured he wasn't going to sleep.  I picked him up in the hopes of rocking him back to sleep.  This didn't work. 
The best feature his bassinet has is the vibrate button.  We can put Grady to bed wide awake, hit the vibrate button and he goes right to sleep.  So last night I put him in the bassinet on vibrate to lull him to sleep (I'm sure this will come back to bite me in the future).  Once his eyes were at half mast I scooped him up and made the transfer to his crib.  This time I only activated the nature sounds on his mobile, not the rotating animals.  It worked! He slept until 5:00am.  Now, this is where I will seriously miss the vibrate feature.  Grady usually starts waking up around 5am, but I just reach over and hit vibrate and he falls back to sleep.  He will then sleep until 6:30 or 7:00.  But last night I had to wake up and feed him.  He did go back to sleep until 7.  Overall, I think the transition was a success.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE!!!that bassinette picture.
    Do you have one of those white noise machines? I think they keep babies asleep a lot longer. We had one for John and Lisa has them for both Pierce and the twins.
    love
    catcat

    ReplyDelete
  2. we ran a fan in his room, but it's not as loud as a white noise machine.

    ReplyDelete