Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Cass Scenic Railroad

I went to Cass Scenic Railroad when I was little.  I remember a steep climb up the mountain and a barbeque lunch at the top.  It might have been a holiday (Fourth of July) and that's why there was food at the top, or maybe they just don't do the food at the top anymore.  Who knows, but the rest was just as I vaguely remember (I was six at the time, my memory didn't start working until I was at least a teenager).
 
 
Grady was really excited to see the train coming into the station.  Dean was a little nervous because the whistle was so loud.  His grip tightened as the train approached.

 
We were a little early so we killed some time playing on a play ground nearby.  This was good since we drove 3 hours in the car to get there and were headed back after the ride.

 
Once seated, Grady got more excited and you can see Dean is starting to fret.

 
This was Dean position the entire trip.  He was in my lap on the way back down.  I know he was scared but I enjoyed the snuggles.

 
I couldn't resist a snapping a picture of this adorable face.

 
The weather was beautiful.  I was advised to bring extra layers and even a blanket, which we did, but only needed our hats and fleece coats.  I was glad to be over prepared, rather than under prepared (per usual).

 
Almost peak Fall colors!

 
At the top, we could walk around for about 15 minutes before they blew the train whistle to signal it was time to leave.  My boys look so grown up in this picture! Makes me sad...

 
This railroad was once used for logging.  Above is an old logging train.  It was enormous.

 
no outdoor adventure is complete without a little play in the gravel time.

 
A retirement home bussed in several people over the age of 75 to ride the train that day.  The little old ladies adored Dean. (I think it helped that he was very snuggly on the train, if he had been running around like a crazy boy, it would have been a different story). I think they looked over at us more than they looked out the window at the scenery!
 
speaking of scenery....

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment