Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Years: Week 1

The year 2011 got off to a rough start in our house.  Last Friday, I took Grady to the doctor to have him checked for a sinus infection.  He's had a cold for three weeks now.  The doctor took a look and said he didn't look infected, in fact they rarely even treat sinus infections in kids his age, they tend to resolve on their own.  (I kinda want my $20 co-pay back for that visit).
That night, my sisters and brother-in-law came to celebrate New Years with us.  As I was preparing dinner I started to feel a little queasy.  I attributed it to drinking some wine on an empty stomach.  But when eating didn't make me feel any better, I decided to lay down while everyone else watched a movie.  My next thought was that my upset stomach was food poisoning.  I made a mental list of all the foods I'd eaten in the past 24 hours.  Since no one else was having symptoms and Taylor had been eating the same foods as me, I ruled that out.  My New Years was spent making frequent trips to the bathroom, while my body purged itself of this nasty virus I had picked up....probably from the doctors office earlier that day (I really want my $20 co-pay back).  The next morning we found Grady had thrown up during the night.  (I'm surprised this didn't wake him up).  Then Saturday night, as I left for work, Taylor succumbed to the virus.  This 24 hour virus took a toll on us.  For some reason, Grady's symptoms lasted several days.  Today he finally seems to be passed it (although he still has a runny nose).  I have to say, kids are pretty amazing.  If I had the symptoms Grady has had for the past four days, I would not have nearly as much energy as him.  He doesn't act one big sick...except that he isn't eating very well.  But he's still very high energy.  Amazing,
Here he is in a fort Taylor made on Sunday


The good thing about starting a new year like this?....it can only get better, right?! :-)

1 comment:

  1. We actually picked up a stomach bug from the pedi's office one time too. Since then, I confess I often wipe off their tables w/ an antibacterial wipe. Sorry, but that little sheet of paper they pull across doesn't do squat, and I HATE having the stomach flu!

    ReplyDelete