Thursday, January 20, 2011

Tamale Pie

I love cookbooks.  My sister-in-law must know this about me because she frequently gives them to me as gifts.  I got the latest one for Christmas this year: Around the Table  By Ellen Wright.  The book is filled with lots of menus for entertaining...which I don't do.  But the recipes are easily adapted to a smaller size and everything I've tried in it so far has been delicious.  Tamale Pie is one of our favorites.  Grady even ate it (before he went on his banana and cracker diet from which he hasn't strayed very far from).


Tamale Pie

Makes 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon canola oil
2 pounds ground beef (I use bison)
One 16-ounce package broad egg noodles
1 tablespoon butter

4 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips (6-ounces)
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Sauce:
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
two 4.5 oz cans green chiles, drained and chopped
One 6-ounce can black olives, drained, pitted, and chopped (1.5 cups)
1/2 cup chopped onion

  1. Preheat the oven to 350*
  2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil.  Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up any clumps, until no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes.  Drain off the fat and set aside.
  3. In a large pot of lightly salted water, cook the noodles until tender.  Drain and toss with the butter.
  4. To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a simmer, reducing the heat to low if necessary, and continue to cook. (for some reason she doesn't say how long to cook this.  I let it simmer for about 10 minutes so the flavors blend)
  5. In a lightly oiled 10- to 12- inch square baking dish that is 2 to 3 inches deep, layer half the noodles, tortilla chips, meat, sauce, and cheddar cheese.  Repeat with the remaining noodles, chips, meat, sauce, and cheddar, then sprinkle with the Parmesan.
  6. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 30 minutes.  Serve immediately.

This picture doesn't really do the dish justice.  You'll just have to trust me that it's delicious.  I will work on my food photography!




1 comment:

  1. That does sound good! I've made a tamale pie recipe in my crockpot before, but it didn't involve noodles.

    ReplyDelete