Monday, October 31, 2011

Petting Zoo and Pumpkin Patch

Yesterday, I woke up early from my post-nightshift slumber so we could go to the petting zoo and a pumpkin patch.  

At the petting zoo, we were given two buckets of feed to give to the animals.  There were horses of all sizes.  After watching me pet a very small pony, Grady reached out and patted it on the nose.  (Taylor had a run in with a small horse as a child, I asked him if this little guy made him nervous....he didn't find my joke humorous, and said the horse that bit him was much larger).


Grady and I are standing a good distance away from the camel.  We were told she was possessive of food and would steal our entire bucket.  I walked up with a small handful for her, but kept the buckets at a distance.


Grady watched while I fed most of the animals.  Here we are feeding a friendly donkey.


I liked feeding the sheep and goats.  They swarmed the fence when we came over and fought to get in front.  I made sure eat one got to have some food.


Next we headed to a wooden train tunnel, which Grady thoroughly enjoyed crawling through. 


Out last animal stop was the boar.  We were told not to feed the pig with our hand, and to just toss food into his pen.  So the remainder of our food was tossed to him.


The petting zoo had a fire and s'more fixings set up for the guests.  After washing the animal saliva off my hands,  I roasted three marshmallows for the family.


I turned mine and Taylor's into s'mores but Grady just ate the roasted marshmallow.  He loved it, but started getting upset when he couldn't get the sticky stuff off his hands.  After a good hand rinsing, we hopped back into the car and headed to a pumpkin patch.


The place we went to was an apple and peach orchard.  They also grew pumpkins, strawberries, and cherries when they are in season.  They had lots of red wagons for pulling large loads of produce (or children) in.  We popped Grady in a wagon and headed for the pumpkin patch.  It was mostly picked over, but we found a few small ones to bring home.  


Then we walked over to the apple orchard and picked some Granny Smith and Fuji apples.


Grady really enjoyed helping push the wagon.


It was very serious business.  


Once we pried Grady's fingers off the wagon we headed home.  He talked about pulling the wagon most of the way home, and mentioned it this morning when he woke up!  


1 comment:

  1. That looks like fun. I have a picture of the pony that bit Taylor, if you ever want to see it ;-) It was actually the size of our pony Harriet, but of course much meaner.

    ReplyDelete