Thursday, January 23, 2014

Four Year Old!

Grady was really excited about his birthday this year.  He's been going to birthday parties for his classmates and keeps asking when it will be his turn.  When the day finally arrived, I let him open one present in the morning before school.  Taylor had to go to work that day, so we postponed further present opening until he came home.


He's been begging for Stephen, from the new Thomas movie "King of the Railway."  He was very excited to get him and brought him to school with him to show his friends.


I made special funfetti pancakes with glazed icing and sprinkles for his breakfast.  I added four birthday candles for him to blow out.


Grady got to bring a special, junk food, snack to school on his birthday.  I made Mint Frosted Brownies. (I should probably share this recipe, they were amazing).

Once Taylor got home from work, Grady opened the rest of his gifts, then we went out to dinner at On The Border.  They sang to the Birthday Boy and he enjoyed some ice cream for dessert.  

Grady asked me why he didn't get a birthday cake on his birthday.  I thought the pancakes with candles and the ice cream after dinner would be enough...apparently not.


I didn't make him a cake on his birthday because he was having a party, and I didn't want to make two cakes!


Grady wanted a Thomas party.  We set up all our train sets in the living room for the kids to play with, I cut out felt shapes for the kids to glue into finger puppets that looked like trains, and we played "pin the funnel on Thomas." 


I apparently need to work on my masking technique because Grady could see exactly where to place the funnel!


Both Grady and Dean sported their Thomas shirts


and finally, the Thomas cake! Grady had a beautiful Thomas cake for his birthday last year that my sister-in-law made.  It was a perfect picture of Thomas on top of the cake.  I decided to try a different route so we didn't have the same cake two years in a row (and I doubt mine would have looked as good).  I was pretty happy with how my version turned out.  It tasted delicious, too!  (the recipe for tender white cake on the back of the king arthur cake flour box is the best recipe I've found! It's so good!!)


2 comments:

  1. What a fun party. That was a very cute cake! I can see why you didn't want to make two of them. Looks like lots of work. Yes, do share the brownie recipe. You're a great mom, Mere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake turned out so awesome! Very creative.

    You asked about the turtle - we've had her a few weeks and so far I haven't had to clean the cage. She doesn't seem to make any messes. The previous owner said she'd hose out the cage every 6-8 weeks but that she was very clean. I was doubtful...but so far, she seems to be correct! I have heard that water turtles are super messy, though, so I'm glad she's not one of those!

    ReplyDelete