Friday, May 11, 2012

Adjusting to a New Brother

I had no idea how Grady was going to react to having a baby brother.  He had some jealously issues with the arrival of the dog, so I assumed he would have a similar reaction.  However, I was pleasantly surprised to see how excited he was to meet Dean.

When Grady first came to the hospital, Dean was in the nursery having his glucose checked.  Because of his large birth size they had to monitor this.  His glucose levels weren't staying up, so after three heal sticks, one hour apart, they gave him some formula to help bring it up, then he got three more heal sticks.  Dean spent most of his first day of life in the nursery becoming a pin cushion.  I had to keep asking for my baby.  It's no wonder his blood sugar was dropping, they never allowed him to stay with me long enough to nurse him! ...I digress.  

Grady was very concerned when he saw Dean through the nursery window and he was crying.  Once I was allowed to have Dean back in my room, Grady kept wanting to touch him.  We told him to pet his head gently (this is something Grady still does frequently).


I tried having Grady hold Dean, but he was too giggly.  He thought it was hilarious for some reason.  (please forgive this horrendous photo of me...post childbirth isn't the most flattering!)


sneaking a peak at his baby brother


Six weeks later, Grady is still really good with Dean.  He's always giving him kisses on the head and the occasional eye poke!  I don't know why he keeps wanting to poke Dean in the eye, it must be a toddler thing.

3 comments:

  1. Awwwww....love those pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you look beautiful after giving birth, Mere. You always look beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete