Sunday, September 15, 2013

I'm so crafty...

Do you have a piece of furniture you remember from your childhood? One that you always kinda loved, even though it's hideous?  Well, this ottoman is sentimental to me.  Is it ugly? Yes.  However, it was my grandmothers.  I flipped over, jumped off, laid across this piece of furniture more times than I can count.  And I've held onto it for a long time.  It has this 1970's pleather look. 
 
 
The biggest reason I've kept it for so long, is because I always loved that it opens for storage of blankets, pillows, etc.  So I thought I would fix it up one day.  I've had this thing for almost ten years, and I finally tackled the project. I took these before pictures six months ago, then immediately ripped the staples out and removed the pleather fabric.  It sat in my bedroom, naked and abandoned until recently.

 
I found a fabric I liked on clearance a purchased it a few weeks ago.  This week I went to work on completing my project (which realistically could have been done in an afternoon).  And here it is...

 
refurnished!  I'm not thrilled about it's current look.  I can picture some 1960's house wife sitting on it in front of her vanity while applying her makeup.  I think a bolder fabric would make it look great. 
 
 
Regardless of what I think, my children loved jumping, climbing and laying across it, as I did many years ago.  There were many fights involving Dean screeching and shoving his big brother out of the way.  Taylor and I couldn't stop laughing. 
 

2 comments:

  1. This is priceless! Especially the Dean the Avenger story :-) I think you did a great job and I love that fabric. It doesn't look 50's at all to me, and I lived in the 50's. If you want a bold look, tack some wide grosgrain ribbon around it, maybe dark brown or black....

    ReplyDelete